Friday, January 4, 2013

The paperwork begins

This week has been a wirlwind of paperwork.  Dave and I found a home study place that was recommended by our placing agency and we have been working the last few nights on the paperwork.  Wednesday we got the application, which consisted of 22 pages of questions.  Dave was working late so I stayed up to work on my section.  Because not only is it 22 pages for us to fill out, there are separate sections where Dave has to fill out also.  I think I stayed up until midnight on Wednesday and still was able to get up for work on Thursday morning at 5:40am. 

On Thursday night I gave Dave his sections to complete, he went upstairs while I worked in the living room writing my autobiography for the home study.  Dave has known me long enough and realized very quickly the slower he writes, the more likely I will end up writing it for him.  I was able to write my whole autobiography in the amount of time it took him to write his name, his parents names, and our address!  So, Thursday night after the kids went to bed, Dave and I sat and finished his section up together while I wrote and he dictated.  I have to say though, that he was very much focused on answering the question.  I was very happy that I did not have to fill this out by myself. 

Tonight he finished his autobiography and now we are ready to mail the packet in to the home study agency along with the first payment!  After they recieve it they will call us to set up our first visit.  I was told this home study would consist of 1 home visit, 2 visits at a mutual location, and online training hours.  Plus gathering up a massive about of documents. Bring it on!

I am very fortunate to have a job where I get out at 2:45 so that I can do all the gathering of information after work.  I have a feeling that we will be quite busy for a while.

All this paperwork reminds me of when I was going through my MBA program.  I was forever busy and it seemed like just when I got one thing done, there was always something else to do.  I did a good job balancing work and school so I have no doubt in my mind that I will do just fine with preparing for this adoption.

The cool part is that when this process is finished, instead of getting just a piece of paper saying I graduated... I will have a beautiful little boy to love for the rest of my life!  That is the BEST motivation!



   

1 comment: